Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Spotlight #3: Angela, Personal trainers OWN workout!


MEET ANGELA (be prepared to be WOWED by her) !!! 


























-My name is Angela Helm. I am a recent master's graduate in Corporate Wellness from Utah State Universty (Go Aggies!!). I have been married to my best friend and sweetheart, Bryan Helm, for almost three years (wow time flies!). I have always enjoyed fitness and wellness. I grew up in a home where my mother took time each day to exercise and take care of herself. She also taught me how to plan and cook healthy, balanced meals. I thank her all the time for the example she set and for the skills she taught. I love what Melissa is doing with Baby Bump to Kids because that is where it all starts! As mothers it is our responsibility to set the example to our kids, the next generation, of how to live healthy balanced lives (that is me on my soap box for a minute!) :) I have played soccer since I could kick a ball and still love to play whenever I can. I enjoy everything outdoors; camping, hiking, fishing, snowboarding, and most sports (Even if I am not very coordinated at a lot of them). I think life is about trying new things and facing things that scare or intimidate us! On top of being physically active, I love music. I play the piano and can't wait for the day that my piano will fit into my house again! :) I have taught piano since I was in highschool. I have been a personal trainer for about five years now. I love working with new personalities and helping people realize that fitness and wellness can in fact be fun!! 


What are your favorite workouts?

-I am definitely a girl that prefers to hit the weights. I love to get into the gym, lift heavy, feel the burn, and leave knowing I won't be able to lift my arms to wash my hair or walk up the stairs to my house. I also know that cardio is so important. I haven't learned to love running yet (which is one of my goals right now!) so I usually choose to do high intensity interval training. This style of cardio takes much less time, which is a major plus! I get on a treadmill and spike my heart rate using an incline or increasing my speed for an intense burst of time, then bring it back down to a recovery phase. I repeat that for the full 25-30 minutes. I am a sweaty mess when I am done but I don't have to spend hours on the treadmill to get the results I want. I really enjoy bootcamp style workouts as well where no equipment is required but the intensity is high. 


What is your weekly workout schedule?

I am hitting the weights at least 4-5 times each week. I break apart the muscle groups so Monday I am focusing on legs, Tuesday is back/biceps/shoulders, Wednesday is Chest/Triceps/Abs,Thursday is another leg day, and Friday is whatever I feel like doing by the time the afternoon rolls around!! Sometimes it is a full upper body day and sometimes I am hitting a good bootcamp workout! Saturdays are usually just recreational activity days. Everyone needs some recovery time both physically and mentally! I squeeze my cardio in at least 2-3 times per week at the end of one of my lifting days when I know I have a little extra time. :)


What keeps you motivated?

-I know how it feels to be out of shape. I was one of those that gained the freshman 15 before I learned how to exercise efficiently and effectively! I have felt both ends of the spectrum and know that I love how I feel when I work hard and do my best to feel my best. A good motivator as well is the fact that I get a little moody when i don't get my workouts in. A little nudge from my husband saying "I can tell by your mood that you haven't worked out in a while" can go a long ways in getting me to put the work in :) 


What makes it fun for you?

-The fun comes from watching myself and my workout improve. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing you lifted more than you did a few weeks ago! It is a great natural high! I think it is fun to push my body to the max and realize that I can accomplish more than I think I can! 


What benefits do you see from exercising?

-Like I mentioned before I am a much more pleasant person to be around when I am exercising regularly. I feel more confident as I start seeing more muscle tone and my clothes fit better. I know it gives me more energy! Exercise puts me in a better mind frame as far as other healthy choices. I tend to make better food choices for dinner if I have just come from the gym. I usually don't get sick very often (I say this as I am coming off of a nasty cold!). There are more than just physical benefits to exercising. My love of exercise has also keeps me continually learning since it is such an evolving field.


What benefits have you seen in others?

-I have seen others grow to love themselves more because they start to see what their bodies are truly capable of! I have seen and helped many individuals get off blood pressure medications, cholesterol medications, and several other medications as they get into an effective exercise program. The confidence boost is incredible to see as they hold their heads a little higher. 


How do you fit it in your busy schedule?

-Life gets busy for sure. However, I try to make exercising a priority. I plan my afternoons or evenings around my workout times. Somedays I have to live by the motto that "something is better than nothing". There may be days when my workouts are only 30 minutes. But I work hard in those 30 minutes so I can get the benefits and feel good! And that 30 minutes is better than doing 0 minutes!


What nutrition tips do you do?

-Nutrition is the harder part of wellness for a lot of people and I am certainly one of those people! I do my best to keep the fridge and pantry stocked with healthy options. Doing a little prep work as soon as you get home from the grocery store can go a long ways. For example, cutting up vegetables and putting them in baggies makes that just as convenient of an option as grabbing a cookie. I don't buy a lot of junk food. The fact that it is usually expensive is a good motivator for that, but also if I don't buy it I won't eat it. My biggest philosophy is that you need to enjoy life. You don't have to be perfect 100% of the time on diet. I live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I am making healthy choices and eating healthy foods. But I give myself that 20% to enjoy a cookie or a good hamburger! The key is not to totally deprive yourself of the things you love. Deprivation sets us up for failure and binging which will never get us to the goals we want to achieve!


What are your favorite workout songs?

-I am a wannabe gangsta when I workout :) The hip hop songs really get me pumped!! A few of my favorites: Shake Your Pom Pom (Missy Elliot), Church (T-Pain), Ching-A-Ling (Missy Elliot)...Okay so pretty much the whole Step Up and Step Up 2 soundtracks :)


What do you think is most important in a workout routine?

-Variety! It is important that you don't let your body just settle into the same routine day in and day out for a long amount of time! Switch up the exercises, the rotation of the exercises, or the style of exercises! Keep your body guessing! 


What is your favorite exercise?

-That is a touch questions. I have a lot of favorites...and I have a lot of favorites of my "non-favorites" (you know what I'm talking about...that love/hate list!). I love leg up lunges squats! They give me serious anxiety before I do heavy weight with those. But I feel them EVERY TIME! I have really seen great results since I started doing more of them! I was recently taught a new way of doing leg presses that have become a serious love hate relationship! Start with feet in a wide stance for 10 reps, move feet close for 10 reps, wide for 10 reps, close 10 reps, wide 10 reps, close 10 reps! yes...60 reps for one set! I can't hardly get out of the machine when I have finished one set! I want to cry it pushes me so hard! And it feels so great when I'm done!!!!! :)


Any other info you think will help and be interesting!!! 

-Women should not be afraid to lift heavy! Take time to learn correct form for the exercises you are going to be doing! Then hit it hard and make each workout count! Love yourself where you! But never stop setting goals for yourself! Your body is amazing and can accomplish great things with consistency and hard work! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love the benefits she has seen in others "-I have seen others grow to love themselves more because they start to see what their bodies are truly capable of! I have seen and helped many individuals get off blood pressure medications, cholesterol medications, and several other medications as they get into an effective exercise program. The confidence boost is incredible to see as they hold their heads a little higher. "

    ReplyDelete