Tuesday, October 8, 2013

SPOTLIGHT #1: Kiersten, mom of 3 girls, happy wife, full-time worker, and full time exerciser!

Seriously...how cute are they?!?!

I am VERY privileged to not only know this amazing working out mom, but to be related to her as well! Kiersten is a amazing mother to three girls (twins and one) who are adorable.  PLUS 2 great danes and some other animals :).   Her house is the "fun" house in our family.  Everyone is excited to be able to spend time with them.  Kiersten has her hands full with a full-time job, full-time mom, full-time wife, AND works out regularly.  

She has accomplished many hard goals by exercising regularly! I am very impressed with Kiersten as a person and LOVE the stories she has to share with us.  I know that her story will help you find some extra fun workouts, motivation, and strategies to keep on movin!  



1. How do you fit in workouts into your busy life schedule?

-- I have made working out part of my day. No questions asked. I'm completely addicted to my workouts now. I used to workout at 6:00 AM, but when my work schedule changed to mornings, I talked my neighbor and trainer into doing a class at 6:30 PM. I didn't want all my hard work and progress to go out the window just because my schedule changed.


2. How do you keep your family involved in it?

-- I started working out again about a year and a half ago. I would tell my 15-year-old daughters, Bailley and Olivia, how awesome and fun/hard the workouts were. Bay and Liv decided to come with me to the workouts and now they love them too. The workouts are very challenging; it's fun to see how confident my girls feel about themselves when they finish a workout. Bay and Liv are strong young ladies; we have bonded working out together. My youngest daughter even comes with just to watch everyone workout.


3. What are the best tips you have for staying motivated and to the workout schedule?

-- My best tip is to find someone to workout with. It was a huge motivator for me to know that there is a group of women waiting for me. Sure, I could skip the workout if I wanted to, but then I would get jealous the next day when they all tell me about how sore they are (the good sore) and how awesome the workout was.


4. What are your favorite workouts?

-- My favorite workout is Tabata! We have a list of 5 different movements, like squats, burpees, jumping jack press, sit-ups, and kettle bell swings (it changes every week). We do as many squats as you can in 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds and you do 8 rounds. The goal is to get the same number of reps in each round. By the 6th round of squats your legs and butt are on fire but you just keep trying to hit your goal number of reps. After you have finished all 8 rounds of squats, you would move on to burpees and do the same thing. I love it!


5. What is your weekly workout schedule like?

-- I workout Monday-Thursday at 6:30 pm and sometimes I workout Friday mornings if I don’t work. Luckily, my neighbor Christine is a certified personal trainer and started a workout group called Focus to be FIT. She creates workouts that are fun and kick your butt. The workouts are High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), they are only 20-30 minutes and they are rarely the same. I seriously get excited to see what crazy workout Christine has made up for the day.


6. What do you do for eating healthy?

-- I have a protein shake within 30 minutes after finishing my workouts. I need to get better at drinking water again, but there was a time that I would drink 160 ounces of water a day. I take my vitamins and I just try to be more aware of my portions. I have noticed that since I have been working out I’m less likely to snack at night.


7. How different is your life when you are exercising regularly?

-- I feel good and I have more energy. I feel like I’m happier when I exercise regularly. I am grateful for my body and all the hard work it does for me. I have a more positive outlook on life. I have learned a lot from Christine on how to treat your body well and how to talk kindly about yourself. At first it was hard to do; it’s natural to be critical about your body. Words and thoughts are very powerful and thinking positive and thanking my body for working hard during the workouts really helps with recognizing the little and big accomplishments I have made with my fitness.


8. What benefits do you see?

-- I have lost 35 lbs. and went from a size 13 to a size 4. I have muscle definition in my arms, legs, back, and shoulders. I even have a little definition in my abs! I am stronger than I ever thought I could be and my endurance has increased.
I used to take medication for depression I have been able to get off my medication. (Obviously, talk to your doctor before getting off any meds ). Exercising releases natural anti depressants and stress relievers in your body. I already said this, but I am so much happier and confident with myself!


9. How has family life changed?

-- I feel like my daughters are more aware about the importance of fitness and exercise in their life. It’s not about being skinny. It’s about feeling good about yourself and treating your body well.


10. The thing that gets you to go workout when you lose motivation?

-- The ladies I workout with are a huge motivator. AIso, I don’t want to lose the progress I have made with my fitness. If I miss a week, I am hurting when I come back; it’s less painful if I don’t miss.


11. Anything else you want to share or think would be fun for people to know or get them out the door movin? :)

-- What I have learned over the last year and a half is that you really don’t need a lot of fancy equipment or need to spend hours in the gym to get a good workout. The equipment I use is 25-30 lb. kettle bell, 10-15 lbs. hand weights, and a jump rope. Some of the best workouts I have done I did not use any weights at all!

The best advice I can give you is when you start working out, start out slow and listen to your body. Don’t push yourself so hard that you’re going to pass out. You will be sore but make sure you go the next day; moving around will help with your soreness ad going every day will help you get used to the routine.


THANK YOU KIERSTEN! YOU HAVE INSPIRED US ALL! 



No comments:

Post a Comment