Monday, October 28, 2013

How to have a good body image!

If I had to take a guess, I would say most women have struggled with body image at some point in their lives.  In my younger years as a dancer, I came across and experienced these issues frequently.  As college hit, it seemed to be less of an issue (in my group of friends).  Lately in my life, I have been noticing unhappiness in body images throughout everyone I know.  So, I had to write an article on it.

It is important to understand that no one is perfect.  The media has photo shop to make their models look extremely perfect.  If you have not seen any Dove beauty experiment commercials, click on this link http://www.youtube.com/user/doveunitedstates and watch some of their videos.

There was a study done with eating disorder patients where they had to pick the silhouette that looked like them. All picked fatter than in reality.  Their view was completely warped.  This happens to many people with poor body images.

Body image is an opinion and for women often negative , wrong, and destructive.  I believe to be happy in life we need to be happy with ourselves.  This takes work, here are some suggestions that help me be happy with who I am!

1. One thing I believe can help if done correctly is eating healthy.  Eating healthy does not mean starving yourself.  It means eating correct portions and good food options (like fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc.).

2. Exercising improves self-efficacy which improves your self-esteem.  Therefore your body image can be improved from exercising.  Make a goal to workout 5-6 days a week.  The more regular, the better you will feel.

3. Try to get ready everyday.  I love lounge days, and not getting ready.  But I know if I actually make an effort to look good everyday I feel better.  You can still wear your sweats, just do a "cute" sweat/lounge day.

4. Talk positively.  When you look in the mirror every morning.  Make sure to say at least two things you love about yourself (you can write good things down about yourself everyday as well).  It might be awkward at first, but overtime it will help you love yourself for who you are. Get those negative thoughts out! My advice: If you would not say it to a friend, do not say it to yourself.

5. Accept compliments.  I cannot accentuate this one enough!!! When someone gives you a compliment, just say THANKS.  First of all, it is RUDE to the person who gave  the compliment to just tell them in a round a bout way that they are wrong.  Second of all, it will help you to believe the compliment yourself.

6. Do not compare.  Everyone is different.  Do not compare yourself to what others are doing, what others look like.  YOU are YOU, be yourself.  Love yourself and what you are and have.

Spend a little more time every day improving how you feel about you!  You will not regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment